When you first think of massage, odds are you think of an hour of relaxation — a little “me” time. Massage certainly offers a great way to escape from the stresses of our everyday lives, but more and more studies are showing that regular massage gives you so much more: a range of emotional and physical benefits. October 20 through 26 is National Massage Therapy Awareness Week, the perfect time to remind yourself why getting a massage not only feels good, but is good for you. Here are the top 10 reasons to incorporate more massage in your life.
1. Massage reduces stress—A single massage can lower your heart rate, cortisol and insulin levels, all of which are tied to how stressed you feel.
2. Massage helps you relax—Long after your massage is over, you will still benefit from a host of brain chemistry responses that encourage feelings of relaxation, lowered stress and improved mood.
3. Massage improves posture—Massage helps your body to reinforce healthy and natural movements, which will help correct any posture problems you may have.
4. Massage improves circulation—The pressure from massage moves oxygen-rich blood through the body to damaged, tense muscles so they can heal, while removing lactic acid and other metabolic waste.
5. Massage lowers blood pressure—Studies have shown that massage can lower both diastolic and systolic blood pressure.
6. Massage relaxes muscles—Sitting causes a lot of chronic back pain, and massage can help with persistent pain by relaxing those tense muscles.
7. Massage improves flexibility—Sedentary lifestyles and age can make joints less flexible. Massage helps improve fluidity and range of motion in your joints and connective tissues.
8. Massage helps you breathe better—Massage can relax muscles in the upper body, which, if they become too tight, can constrict breathing.
9. Massage relieves headaches—Regular massage reduces your chance of developing a headache in the first place by relaxing muscle spasms and trigger points. Already have a headache? It can decrease the pain.
10. Massage strengthens the immune system—Studies have shown that regular massage can improve your body’s overall immune functioning.
To find a Massage Envy near you, visit www.MassageEnvy.com.