It’s 3:00 pm and your stomach is rumbling. You contemplate holding out until dinner, but then after 15 minutes you start to feel famished and head straight to the vending machine for a quick unhealthy fix.
Sound familiar? We all experience afternoon cravings! Here are some tips to help stay on track throughout the week so that you can treat yourself once or twice over the weekend, and not feel guilty.
1. Eat regularly. Many nutritionists suggest five small meals throughout the day instead of three big ones to prevent blood sugar levels from spiking.
2. Avoid breakfast foods full of carbs and starch. Sorry, but that means donuts and bagels! Instead, make a fruit smoothie to get your daily dose of vitamin C and potassium. Check out some of these great recipes from Fitness magazine.
3. Spice up your meals. Cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg are known to help reduce cravings and satisfy your need for something sweet.
4. Take your vitamins. Certain nutrients seem to improve blood sugar control including chromium, vitamin B3 and magnesium.
5. Boost energy levels naturally with daily exercise. Squeeze in a 30-minute morning run or take a yoga class after work.
6. Snack on fruit and veggies. Keep an apple in your purse or backpack at all times and stock your fridge with baby carrots and celery sticks to munch on.
7. Fill up with H20! It is very common to mistake hunger for thirst. Hydrate first and then decide if you’re still hungry.
We’d love to hear your tips to help fight afternoon cravings. Leave us a comment and let us know what works for you.